We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has been a confusing and uncertain time especially as you are navigating your fertility journey.
STL Fertility is in full agreement with The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), The American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM), The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG), and numerous other medical organizations on recommending the COVID-19 Vaccine for all eligible persons, including pregnant and breastfeeding individuals, persons pursuing pregnancy or persons pursuing fertility treatment or desiring conception.
Our recommendations on the safety and efficacy of the COVID-19 vaccines are evidence-based. Here are a few responses to some of the common questions we are fielding in the office from patients just like you:
- COVID19 vaccination does not impact male or female fertility or treatment outcomes.
- Existing data suggest COVID19 vaccination during pregnancy does not increase the risk of miscarriage.
- None of the currently available COVID-19 vaccines reach or cross the placenta. The intramuscularly administered vaccine mRNA remains in the deltoid muscle cell cytoplasm for just a few days before it is destroyed. However, protective antibodies to COVID19 have been shown to cross the placenta and confer protection to the baby after delivery.
- Vaccination is the best method to reduce maternal and fetal complications of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Pregnancy is an independent risk factor for SEVERE Covid-19 disease. Pregnancy is independently associated with a 3-fold increased risk for ICU (Intensive Care Unit) admission and a 1.7 fold increased risk of death compared with symptomatic nonpregnant patients
- Follow the link below to the current ASRM COVID-19 Management guidelines for infertility patients.
We are honored to be a part of your fertility care and want you well-informed and equipped with evidence-based recommendations. Please reach out to our office with any questions or concerns that you might have. We want to help you have a family in as safe a setting as possible.
Your STL Fertility Family